Looking for a refreshing cabbage salad that’s keto-friendly?
Look no further!
This chicken shredded purple cabbage salad with creamy lime dressing is a beautiful Southwestern take of traditional coleslaw.
It’s refreshing, light, yet filling, and protein-packed.
Thanks to its low carb content, you can eat a bowl-full without getting kicked out of ketosis.
With refreshing cilantro and lime, it’s a perfect keto summer salad and makes a great side dish at your next BBQ party.
It’s fun, colorful, and has a burst of flavors.
Thankfully, it’s so simple to make, and you can even meal prep and store it in the refrigerator.
Besides the purple cabbage’s vibrant color, this cruciferous vegetable adds a pack of nutrients with a bite-worthy crunch.
It’s a type of veggies that gives you everything you need in a meal and more. It’s delicious, full of texture, and extremely nutritious.
In every cup of shredded cabbage, there are only 22 calories, 5 grams of total carbs, and 3.5 grams of net carbs.
If you are really strapped of carb allowance, go with green cabbage as it’s about 1 gram lower in net carb for its higher fiber count.
Additionally, it’s rich in vitamin C, A, and B-6. It’s a superfood that can be enjoyed raw or cooked.
You may also like:
It’s also a great way to add more varieties to your keto salads.
Like other typical slaw, I love that you don’t need a cutting board to put together a tasty cabbage salad.
I use a slicer to slice everything from purple cabbage to cucumber and carrots.
I often sub chicken thighs to shredded rotisserie chicken to cut time and use up the leftovers. You can forego the chicken too if you are serving this aside.
Once I have all the ingredients, I mix them up in one large bowl.
It’s a totally hassle-free, lazy day recipe you’ll enjoy as is or to pair with fish tacos.
However way you want to enjoy it, I can guarantee it’ll be your favorite salad recipe you would pick over your usual coleslaw mix.
Here is also a quick trick. On a day you are craving an Asian salad, switch up your cilantro to green onions and purple cabbage to napa cabbage.
Garnish it with sesame seeds, peanuts, ginger slices, and scallions to bring the Asian flavors.
And for a vegan option, opt-out of the chicken and use vegan mayo.
This cabbage salad recipe is so versatile and addictive. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Chicken Purple Cabbage Salad Recipe with Creamy Lime Dressing
- 2 cups purple cabbage, raw cabbage
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
- 1/4 cup shredded cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh avocado cubed
- 5 slices Jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 small lime or lemon wedge
- 1/2 cup chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (to cook the chicken)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp full-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- If you are adding chicken, cut the chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces. Over medium heat, cook the chicken with 2 tbsp coconut oil in a medium skillet until it's thoroughly cooked. Season it with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the outer leaves from the head of the cabbage. Using a slicer, shred the purple cabbage until you have 2 full cups and rinse. Using the same slicer, shred the carrot, cucumber, and jalapeno pepper. If you don't have a slicer, cut the veggies into thin strips and shreds. Cut avocado into cubes and remove the cilantro steps from the leaves.
- Add the veggies and cooked chicken into a large bowl. Squeeze the lime or lemon to add the lemon juice to the salad. Add in the mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Toss the salad to coat thoroughly. Serve them in a small bowl and garnish with cilantro leaves and sprinkle shredded cheese. Enjoy!