The keto diet or ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that’s popular for weight loss. It’s a diet that is designed to turn fat into energy, instead of glucose.
The goal of a keto diet is to get your body to enter a metabolic state called ketosis. In ketosis, fat becomes your body’s main source of energy.
To induce ketosis, the keto diet restricts your carb intake while upping fats.
For many people, it means limiting your carbs to 50 grams per day or less. This equates to about 80% of caloric intake from fat, 15% from protein, and 5 % from carbs.
A healthy keto diet plan would focus on low-carb foods and healthy fat sources. Foods like eggs, meats, healthy oils, and non-starchy vegetables are some of the main items on a keto food list.
Given the limits of the diet, it’s too easy to skimp on nutrition for the sake of cutting carbs. It’s equally important on keto to choose foods rich in nutrients and fiber than to adhere to its macro ratio.
Nutritious Keto Foods to Eat
When planning a keto daily menu, be sure to include plenty of these nutritious keto foods:
- Oils- avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, and fish oil
- Nuts and sesames- macadamia nuts, sesame seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanut, and walnuts
- Fatty fish – wild-caught mackerel, salmon, and tuna belly
- Full-fat dairy-yogurt, cream, butter, and low-carb cheese.
- Produce: avocado
- Eggs: organic eggs
- Meat: grass-fed beef, pork, bison, and lamb.
- Poultry: organic, grass-fed chicken and turkey
Non-starchy, low-carb vegetables:
- Bell peppers
Keto Daily Menu
In this article, we’ll take a look at a sample daily menu for the keto diet.
In addition, we’ll cover what you should take into consideration when planning your meals for the day.
So, What Is a Typical Daily Menu for the Keto Diet?
On a typical daily menu for the keto diet consists of a high-fat, low-carb breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner.
And here is how a typical keto meal for every meal of the day can look like.
Typical Keto Daily Menu
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 bacon strip, 1/4 avocado, 1 cup greens with olive oil dressing. Black coffee or bulletproof coffee for a drink.
- Morning Snack: a handful of macadamia nuts with coconut flakes
- Lunch: a big bowl of cobb salad with keto-friendly dressing. Skip croutons.
- Afternoon Snack: a handful of blackberries with cottage cheese
- Dinner: Garlic and herb chicken and spinach in a cream sauce. Side of cauliflower rice.
Intermittent Fasting on a Keto Diet
If you are doing intermittent fasting on keto, you are likely to skip breakfast and eat your first meal at 11 am or so. But if you’re not fasting, you can eat breakfast in the morning.
Popular Keto Meals to Try
Here are some more keto meal ideas to create your menu with. Many are easy to prep, full of nutrient-rich ingredients, and unbelievably delicious!
Keto Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast is the first meal you eat and it’s the meal you break your fast with. So be mindful and be sure to include nutritious low-carb veggies, healthy fat, and protein.
- Egg muffins
- Breakfast sandwich with keto bread
- Full-fat Greek yogurt with nuts and berries
- Keto smoothie
- Avocado egg cup
- Avocado toast on a keto bread slice
- Bulletproof Coffee
Low-Carb Snack Ideas
Although You may not need or want to snack on the keto diet. But if you do, here are so low-carb snack options that can hold you through till your next meal
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Olives and cheese
- Pork Rinds
- Cottage Cheese
- BlackBerries & Strawberries
- Mozzarella cheese stick
Keto Lunch Ideas
Lunch is probably my favorite meal to eat on a keto diet because there are so many options available. Especially nowadays, even your favorite fast food restaurant has keto options available. For example, McDonald’s offers a bunless cheeseburger or a chicken salad with no croutons.
If you need more low-carb lunches, here are 20 of my favorites.
Now you have some ideas of what you can eat for lunch on keto, let’s a look at what you can eat for dinner.
So, what can I eat for dinner on a keto diet?
Keto Dinner Recipes and Ideas
One of the most challenging meals on the keto diet is dinner, or is it? For dinner, you have to find not only for yourself but the whole family will enjoy. But don’t worry there are plenty of low-carb dinners that are as delicious as healthy.
We have listed 25 easy dinner recipes that you’ll want to make again and again. Dishes like cheesy broccoli soup, chicken marsala, and beef stroganoff are some of our absolute favorites.
Here are a few of my all-time favorite from the list:
If you’re looking for a meat-free option that’s also keto-approved, here are 19 vegan and vegetarian recipes.